Friday, December 4, 2009

Field Week: BLOG # 6

Wow! This past week I have been in a 5th grade classroom, observing, teaching and learning more than I could ever imagine. I truly feel that teachers learn more from children, than we could ever teach them. Each student it so unique and has such specific needs, that being a teacher really requires all of you. I didn't quite know what to expect through this whole experience. All i knew was that I was excited, nervous and anxious to get in a real classroom and try out what i've been learning. I feel like the biggest thing I have realized this past week, is not only does teaching require all of your energy, but it also requires all of your heart and passion as well. I can see how someone would get burnt out from teaching, if they were in it for the wrong reasons. Although, I can't really think what the wrong reason would be, because the money definitely is not a reason. It would be extremely easy to loose sight of why you wanted to be a teacher if you let the frustrating moments of children misbehaving, or the overwhelming feeling of a pile of ungraded papers, get to you. I think I've learned patience more than anything through this experience. Teaching isn't all happy little kids and coloring books. At the beginning, I think that was sort of my imagery of what teaching was. I am a creative person and love to be around lively young spirits, but I have realized that being a teacher requires so much more than that. You need to have a love for people. Teaching to me, is really a very selfless profession, where you give much of yourself to see others succeed. I have loved getting to know the students in my 5th grade class, although some moments have already proved to be a challenge, I know that the gratification of watching them grow and learn, would be enough for me.
I am excited to mature and grow as a person, because then I know i'll be even better prepared to handle students of all kinds, and bestow the best knowledge and effort I have, for my future classroom.

1 comment: