Tuesday, September 29, 2009

TEACHING DANCE

This past week in class we learned many fun and creative ways to teach dance in an elementary school setting. I really enjoyed this experience because it got me thinking about dancing differently. I am a dancer, and have been dancing for about 9 years. These activities really allowed me to see how you can use dance for children who maybe aren't comfortable dancing. Many children, especially the younger ages, have not been exposed to dance. These activities get their blood flowing and their brains thinking. The approach in adding dance to the elementary classroom is much different than that of a studio. It has very much to do with creating an open learning environment for your students. Implementing the arts and dance allows for students to express themselves, communicate with one another and be open to new experiences. Dance in elementary schools isn't about technique like it would be in a studio. It's about bringing your students together and providing them a new way of learning and growing. I will definitely use dancing in my future classroom because I think it is extremely beneficial. I enjoyed it so much and I know those little children would love it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment